Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Oh My Gawd

Well, I started this blog to showcase some pictures of a record-breaking 1" December snowfall, so my friends in Missouri and Canada could mock me. If I had been on Facebook then, I probably would have put the pictures on Facebook and not started the blog.

I just looked over the 10 most recent posts, and boy, are they repetitive. When there's not any snow to take pictures of, the orange trees, hot peppers, and grass are all there is to talk about.

Arrgh! I also noticed I had much more to say in the years I was working part-time at a fairly unchallenging job (2008-2010). Once I had a challenging job, seems like my drive to write had engine trouble.

And I will say right now that my current favorite blog post is the one by The Bloggess about Big Metal Chickens.

So, prepare yourself for the advent of home improvement posts. :: Spoiler Alert:: As soon as our refinance goes through, there will be a new roof for house and workshop, new soffits, painted fascia, and other miscellanea. There may even be some drama, because the electrical wires to the house go across the roof, and they are only a few feet above the roof in spots. Do roofers ever electrocute themselves?

Do blogs self-destruct from boredom? We shall see. My solution to having a soapbox topic in the past was to start a new blog. Now I have four personal ones, plus one for work. The travel blog was done for some Canadian guests, but never updated. I don't remember what set me off about the childbirth blog. I started a blog to vent my frustrations with my GIS project, just remembered it.

Anyway, the Lafayette Backyard blog has about outlived its usefulness, needs to be repurposed or get a new theme. Anyone, anyone?

2 comments:

  1. I like this post. I had a memory of you in high school, reading risqué romance novels and telling me you would run off with a lover and travel the world. I am paraphrasing because my memory's not excellent enough for a real quote. I guess my point is, it's great to be reconnected by writing. It seems to be a passion for both of us. Combine, get a new theme? I don't think it matters. Just write what you care about ;). But write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Risque romance novels! I wonder what those could've been - I don't remember what I was reading then. We had some racy stuff by Guy de Maupassant around the house from my mom's grad school days, don't remember what else it could've been. What passed for risque then is on prime time TV now. I've been thinking lately about how conventional my life has turned out, including being a homeowner and keeping a steady job. I haven't traveled as much of the world as I want, but I did marry a French speaker, and have French speaking houseguests at least once a year. So my talk of a bohemian lifestyle has come to nothing, and would probably shock my 19 year old to the core if she knew about it. I just read "My Life in France" about Julia Child, and it made me wish for travel, but I want to go to the France of the 1950s or 1960s. Maybe I'll get my wish for travel once the daughter is done with college. I really love the field I'm working in now (GIS), but I'd also love to make a living as a travel writer. Realized that on my recent trip to San Diego. I could write for the niche market of adventurous middle-aged travelers with bad feet. OK, there's an idea. I'll give an after-the-fact account of my San Diego trip, test my travel writer skills, expand the scope from the back yard a little. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete